Seminal Fluid Analysis
THESE TESTS ARE DONE AT OUR OUTPATIENT LABORATORY CLINIC AT 323 E. FRANKLIN.
OUT-PATIENT LABORATORY HOURS 7:00AM UNTIL 3:30PM.
SEMINAL FLUID ANALYSIS
COLLECTION: PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING THE COLLECTION.
1. The semen sample should be collected following a three-day period of continence. Prolonged continence (more that 1 month) prior to collection is discouraged, since the motility of sperm may diminish. The patient should not sit in a “hot-tub” or a Jacuzzi for one week before testing.
2. The sample should be collected in the physician’s office or in the laboratory restroom by masturbation.
3. To properly evaluate the specimen, the analysis should be performed within 20 minutes after ejaculation.
4. If the sample is collected in the patient’s home, the following instructions are vital to the accuracy of the tests.
- Sample should be collected in a warmed clean glass jar or a clean plastic container. Condoms should not be used because of the spermicidal powder or lubricant involved. If a condom is to be used, it must be washed, rinsed and dried before use. It should be tied after use and placed in a warmed clean glass jar.
- SAMPLE MUST BE KEPT AT BODY TEMPERATURE UNTIL ANALYSIS IS PERFORMED
- Specimens collected in the patient’s home by coitus interruptus are not recommended because the entire specimen cannot be examined.
5. The laboratory will not accept seminal fluid collections during the week-end. Please bring during regular weekday hours.