REPORT TO THE REGISTRATION RECEPTIONIST BEFORE COMING TO THE LAB.
OUT-PATIENT LABORATORY HOUR 7:00AM UNTIL 3:30PM.
COLLECTING A 24 HOUR URINE SPECIMEN
YOUR DOCTOR HAS REQUESTED YOUR COOPERATION IN COLLECTING A 24-HOUR URINE SPECIMEN. THE COLLECTION CONTAINER THAT IS SUPPLIED MAY OR MAY NOT CONTAIN A PRESERVATIVE, DEPENDING ON THE TEST YOUR DOCTOR HAS ORDERED.
FOR ACCURATE RESULTS ON YOUR TEST, PLEASE FOLLOW EXACTLY THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
PLEASE AVOID DIRECT CONTACT WITH THE PRESERVATIVE IN THE CONTAINER.
1. DO NOT empty the container if it contains either a liquid or a solid when
received by you.
2. At an hour convenient to you, empty your bladder and discard the urine. This is the starting time for your 24-hour collection. Some tests may require refrigeration. The lab personnel will inform you of proper storage technique.
3. Each time that you void during the net 24 hours, transfer the urine to the container and swirl.
4. Void the last time exactly at the end of the 24-hour period. Be sure to include this sample in the collection.
5. Should you miss saving a voiding, return the container to your Doctor or the laboratory and request a fresh container. You will then have to start the procedure from instruction #1.
6. Bring the collection to the laboratory during regular weekday hours.