Weatherford Regional Hospital congratulates you and your family on the birth of your new baby. Breastfeeding is the best start for you and your baby, but sometimes your may feel overwhelmed, or have some questions or concerns, or need some breastfeeding supplies. The Lactation Consultant at WRH is here to help you with these needs!
What is a Lactation Consultant?
Lactation consultants are health care professionals trained specifically in breastfeeding. The lactation consultant at WRH has been working with mothers and their breastfeeding babies since 1998. The WRH lactation consultant visits mothers while they are in the hospital to guide them and their babies while learning to breastfeed. The lactation consultant reports to the mother’s and baby’s doctor about progress or problems, and the plans they will follow to be successful with breastfeeding.
You can also see the lactation consultant privately for a consultation before or after your baby is born, even if you did not deliver at Weatherford Regional Hospital.
You can get help before you baby is born if:
- You want to learn as much as you can about breastfeeding.
- You had a hard time nursing a baby in the past.
- You expect more than one baby or a baby who may be sick or early.
- You have had breast surgery and wonder if it will affect your breastfeeding.
- You think your breast or nipples look odd to you or are very different from each other.
- You worry that something about your health might make it hard to breastfeed.
You can get help after you are home if:
- You and/or your baby are having a hard time with breastfeeding.
- Your breast or nipples hurt.
- Your baby is not gaining weight very well.
- You are worried about how your baby acts during or after feeding.
- You are worried that you might have too much or too little milk.
- Your doctor or your baby’s doctor sends you for help.
- You and /or your baby are put in the hospital during the time you are a nursing couple.
- You are returning to work or school and plan to continue breastfeeding.
A lactation consultant can:
- Explain what may have caused a problem.
- Suggest choices to help you correct a problem.
- Work with you to decide on a plan of care.
- Suggest supplies or tools you can use.
- Give your written instructions to take home.
- Tell you how to call back if you have questions or more trouble after you get home.
- Tell you when to check in again.
The lactation clinic at WRH provides:
- Hospital-grade breast pumps for rental
- Personal use breast pumps for daily or occasional use
- Nursing bras and breast pads
- Replacement parts for breast pumps
- Storage and collection containers for your milk
To contact the Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant at WRH, please call the clinic at (580) 774-4758. She is available daily, 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m., and after hours, or weekends, as arranged.